It would have been 10, but for Universal Music disabling YouTube embedding on its videos. Idiots. So, in no particular order…
Those Dancing Days – Run Run
– frighteningly young Swedes whose music was good enough to make me forget how old I am compared to them.
Black Kids – I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance
– from probably my favourite album of the year. Great fun live, and taken from their appearance on Later… With Jools Holland.
Shortwave Set – Glitches ‘n’ Bugs
– wasn’t actually released as a single, so here’s someone’s own version from YouTube. Aaaah.
Long Blondes – Guilt
– sad to see the Long Blondes split this year, following guitarist Dorian Cox’s stroke, but their album Couples was a fine way to go out.
Tilly and the Wall – Pot Kettle Black
– took me years to really listen to this band, downloading their album for my flight to New York finally got this into my head.
Ladyhawke – My Delirium
– the other act I discovered while away. A stunning debut album to boot.
Ladytron – Ghosts
– their album Velocifero was a bit of damp squib, but lead single Ghosts was a stormer, and Helen Marnie’s voice still has a strange hold on me…
Mystery Jets featuring Laura Marling – Young Love
– bands playing fun pop music? What is this, the 1980s?
MGMT – Time To Pretend
– the album was overrated and they were lousy live at Primavera Sound in Barcelona, but this seemed to sum up the year for me.